As a blogger, I care about all the things. I care about what people wear, the environment, and all types of fashion-related topics. But lately it seems like my blog has been lacking in that department. So I thought to myself: “What better way to get back on track than with an article about recycling clothes?”
It’s amazing what you can do with clothing that otherwise would have been tossed out or donated to Goodwill. Instead of throwing it all out, why not use the materials to create new clothing items or accessories? There’s so many things you can do with unwanted clothing, especially when your goal is to recycle clothes. I’ve gathered a few of my favorite DIY projects from around the web that will help you recycle your old clothing into something completely new.
Each day, clothes are being thrown away, and this is an environmental problem. Faulty or worn-out garments can’t be reused again and that means they end up in the landfill — not only is this a waste of resources, but it also harms our environment. Here are some creative ways to recycle old clothes so they don’t go into the dumpster.
Table of Contents
The 6 Creative Ways to Recycle Clothes
Recycling Clothes, or Repurposing Them?
The concept of recycling clothes is simple, but often people think that it’s too time-consuming and difficult. Do you like hand-me-downs and secondhand clothing? Well, now you can actually reuse these clothes! Try out this craft idea for kids by turning old clothes into new ones. You can make hats, scarves, onesies and even stroller covers with old clothing.
Clothes Turning Into Art
Are you an artsy person who loves street art? Then clothes turning into art is a perfect craft idea for you! Not only can you create a cool design with paint and clothes, but you’ll also be recycling these used garments. The best part about this project is that it only requires old shirts. There is no need to purchase anything new or to use any other material.
Clothes Boilers for a Good Cause
Recycling clothes is a good cause, but it’s not enough. You can also make cash and donate to your favorite charity! If you have old clothes and would like to turn them into something useful, then why not have fun with this craft idea? There are various organizations who accept clothing donations and they will provide guidance and help you turn your old garments into money.
Clothes Used for Scrapbooking
If you love scrapbooking, then you know the importance of old pictures, tickets and other memorabilia. Old clothes can also be used to make scrapbooks! Not only will this provide a fun activity for you and your friends, but it will also provide an interesting way of saving memories. The best part about this craft idea is that it’s easy to make and doesn’t require any tools or experience.
Recycling Old Clothes for the Garden
If you have old clothes and would like to recycle them, then why not use them to make a garden? Weeding clothes may seem weird because they are garments, but they are also made out of fabric and can be recycled. These clothes will help you create a beautiful garden by preventing soil erosion and providing comfort. If you are an avid gardener, then turning old clothes into a garden is an excellent idea.
Keeping Old Clothes for Playtime
Do you have old clothes that you no longer wear? Why not use them for your kids’ play time? You can create fun toys and activities with these garments, and spare clothing also makes great decorations in their rooms. If your children love playing dress-up games and pretend play, then using old clothes as props can be extremely helpful.
For more check out these ten cool ways to reuse old clothes. From a throw pillow cover to a DIY purse, this post has tons of ideas for you.
1) Swap your buttons! When you’re ready to update your wardrobe or refresh an outfit, swap the buttons on any tops or jackets you have with new ones in a color that suits your style. This can help to update an entire outfit in a flash.
2) Make fabric flower pillows. You know that old shirt or jacket that you’ve been saving for a special occasion and now you’re ready for it to host its own pillow? This is the perfect time to make it into a beautiful fabric flower! If your old shirt or jacket has fraying cuffs, this is the perfect time to make them into their very own DIY purse!
3) Make a French braid easy access jewelry holder. Sometimes it can be hard to find a place for your necklaces and bracelets that’s not on the ground. In an effort to avoid the hassle, you can make an easy access jewelry case from an old jacket or shirt.
4) A DIY purse. This is a really simple craft, but it can make an otherwise boring old jacket or shirt look like a million bucks! This DIY purse is more than just a hot accessory – it’s also functional.
5) Recycle a t-shirt into a necklace display. You can use an old t-shirt to create a beautiful necklace display. The best part is that you can reuse the shirt and turn it into something new!
6) Make your own throw pillow covers. What’s better than totally unique covers for your throw pillows? You can make these in whatever fabric you have lying around the house, and they’ll fit any size of pillow.
7) Create a DIY pillowcase. This is a great way to use up an old shirt or jacket. By making a DIY pillowcase, you can make your own pillowcase that fits your bed perfectly! No more removing the whole thing to turn over – now you just remove the top part!
8) Make a no-sew pillow cover. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best, and this is one of them. All you need for this DIY pillow cover is an old t-shirt, some fabric glue and threads!
9) Use buttons to replace the zipper pull on your purse. Old buttons are actually perfect for replacing an old zipper pull because they have a hole in them. If you have a purse that’s missing its zipper, this is the perfect way to make it up!
10) A DIY purse leash. This is a very simple, cost effective way to protect your purse from being stolen! All you need to make this DIY purse leash is some ribbon or fabric, safety pins and an extra long zipper.
Do you have any other great ideas for recycling clothes? Let us know in the comments below. You may also want to check out these clever ways to use up old t-shirts!
Recycling old clothes is a way of conserving resources, cleaning the environment and making a difference by donating used garments to children in your community. Recycling old clothes can be a creative way of practicing good environmental habits and it can also provide you with extra money. If you have any questions or would like to find out more about recycling clothes, please contact us. We are always happy to help!